The Tax Practice Responsibilities Committee (TPRC) develops and monitors the professional ethical standards impacting AICPA members who provide tax services. The TPRC works with its AICPA liaison to:
The Tax Executive Committee (TEC) liaison works closely with the TPRC on the review and creation of resources and keeps the TPRC abreast of happenings across the various committees and technical resource panels that report to the TEC.
- Develop and review practice aids to help members maintain the highest level of ethical standards and quality control in providing tax services
- Monitor developments on issues related to internal ethical standards, including AICPA Statements on Standards for Tax Services (SSTSs) and related interpretations and the AICPA Code of Professional Conduct
- Monitor developments on issues related to external ethical standards, including U.S. Treasury Circular 230, the Internal Revenue Code and other domestic statutory rules regarding preparer and practitioner penalties, sanctions and guidelines regulating the conduct of tax practice. Other standards promulgated by external bodies such as the International Federation of Accountants (IFAC) and the International Ethics Standards Board for Accountants (IESBA) are also reviewed to determine their impact on AICPA members providing tax services.
- Act as subject matter expert on advocacy issues, in coordination with the IRS Advocacy and Relations Committee (IRSARC), on matters involving the IRS Office of Professional Responsibility (OPR) and preparer oversight and procedure issues involving the IRS Return Preparer Office. The TPRC also maintains a close relationship with the Director of OPR.
- Collaborate with internal AICPA staff, committees and technical resource panels (TRPs) across the AICPA as needed on projects related to tax practice standards and ethics and other rules impacting non-attest services.